The Department of Justice regularly hold free professional development workshops for Justices of the Peace (JPs) and Commissioners for declarations (C.decs).
They offer a number of workshops which provide existing JPs and C.decs with an opportunity to advance their skills and refresh specific knowledge as to their roles and responsibilities.
Workshop topics include:
- General witnessing procedures
- Issuing Search Warrants
- Witnessing Land Title documents
- Witnessing General Powers of Attorney (GPAs), Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPAs) and Advanced Health Directives (AHDs)
- Considering Justice Examination Orders
- Attending Records of Interview
- Witnessing Family Law documents
- Dealing with Difficult Behaviours – Customer Service Delivery
- Considering applications under the Customs Act
To register your interest to attend a workshop
- View the workshop calendar( http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/justices-of-the-peace/workshops/professional-development-workshop-calendar ) to find a suitable date
- Select a workshop to read more information
- Register via the online form listed
Other professional development
The Justices of the Peace Branch conducts different types of refresher training to registered Justices of the Peace (JPs) and Commissioners for Declarations (C.decs) throughout the year. This includes conducting workshops in the electorate areas at the request of the local State Member of Parliament.
If your local State Member of Parliament has organised a workshop with the Justices of the Peace Branch, invitations will be disseminated to Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations who are constituents from that electorate. All details of the workshop will be included within the invitation.