Tuesday, 19 September 2017
· Record 964 offenders on the Darling Downs breached domestic violence orders in 2016/17
· 30 percent increase in the number of offenders breaching orders than two years ago
· Labor continues to fail domestic violence victims
A record 964 Darling Downs offenders thumbed their noses at domestic violence orders in 2016/17, according to latest figures released by Queensland Police.*
LNP Shadow Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Ros Bates said victims were left exposed and at risk under a failing system.
“Two and a half years of a do-nothing Palaszczuk Labor Government have seen breaches of domestic violence orders on the Darling Downs increased more than 30 percent from 741 in 2014/15 to 964 in 2016/17,” Ms Bates said.
“Victims should have confidence in the system and the orders of the court to protect them from further abuse and harm.
“I have said it before and I will say it again, protection orders are not worth the paper they are written on if offenders continually ignore them.”
Ms Bates said tougher laws that hold offenders more accountable for their actions need to be considered.
“Where are the much promised GPS trackers for domestic violence offenders that the LNP fought to have introduced into law earlier this year?” Ms Bates said.
“Under Labor we have seen a series of major blunders that have left victims of domestic violence exposed.
“The LNP has a real plan to tackle domestic violence – from Opposition we introduced a series of tough new bail and parole laws for domestic violence offenders that Labor opposed.
“Only the LNP will deliver a safer and more liveable Queensland.”