15 November 2019
The progress being made in the northern and central sections of the project between Robina (Exit 82) and the new The Link Way (Exit 80) is now very evident, with finishing works underway at most on and off-ramps and the new motorway lanes, in preparation for sections to be opened to traffic by the end of this year. From next week, night works will be required in these areas on both sides of the motorway to ensure these areas are ready for opening – see below for details. Further information about the upcoming road/ramp openings and associated traffic changes will be provided in next week’s email update.
In the southern part of the alignment, good progress is also being made in the area near Varsity Lakes (Exit 85). The old section of Stapley Drive bridge over the former northbound lanes was removed last month and works are now underway to build formwork for the start of major concrete works to construct the underside of the bridge. The road upgrade works for the new northbound lanes are also forging ahead with some sections now asphalted, earthworks continuing in other areas and works to strengthen the road’s foundation underway in other areas.
The southern section of the alignment, including the new Stapley Drive bridge, is expected to open to traffic in the first half of 2020.
Above: The old section of Stapley Drive bridge was removed by early October (top) and works are now underway to construct the underside of the new section of bridge (bottom). Road upgrade works for the new northbound lanes are also continuing in a 2-kilometre long works zone. The inset photograph shows the area north of the bridge, with tonnes of rock being applied to strengthen the future road’s foundation in that area.
Activities next week
Night works next week will occur on Sunday to Thursday nights from 6pm to 6am, with traffic impacts from 8pm to 4am.
- The Link Way, Mudgeeraba – Sunday to Thursday
- An intermittent lane closure will be in place most nights next week for finishing works to tie the local road network into the newly widened motorway and Exit 80 off-ramp. Stop/go traffic control will be in place near the corner between Railway Street and Bell Place, directing motorists one way at a time, when required.
- Robina (Exit 82) to Varsity Lakes (Exit 85) – Sunday to Thursday
- On Sunday and Monday nights, the northbound motorway lanes near Robina (Exit 82) will be closed with all northbound motorists detoured via the Exit 82 off and on-ramps. This closure is required for the installation of street lighting, moving concrete construction barriers and asphalting on the motorway.
- Works will occur nightly on the Robina (Exit 82) southbound on-ramp for asphalting and the installation of light poles, with the following traffic impacts in place:
- Intermittent lane closures will occur Sunday and Monday nights with motorists diverted around the works zone.
- The on-ramp will be closed Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. Motorists wanting to enter the motorway will be detoured via Somerset Drive, Gemvale Road, Stapley Drive and Scottsdale Drive, entering the motorway at the Reedy Creek on-ramp.
- Asphalting will occur behind construction barriers on the western side of the alignment south of Robina (Exit 82) on Thursday night. There are no expected traffic impacts from these works.
- Intermittent shoulder and lane closures will occur on the southbound side of this section on Thursday night for landscaping finishing works. Signage and traffic control will be in place to direct motorists around the works.
The above works require the use of trucks and heavy construction machinery. Local residents may hear some noise from these works. We apologise for any disturbance this may cause.
Please note – if work is delayed due to weather or construction conditions, activities will be carried out on the next available work shift.
Information about the project, including project plans and a fly-through video is available on our website:
This program is expected to be complete by mid-2020.